About Me

sharing my thoughts on all things related to food.

Monday 28 June 2010

My first 'proper' post =)

I created this blog back in 2007....and it was originally a recipe blog, rather than a food blog. Though I love cooking, blogging about my HK-eats seem much more interesting!

For my first official post, I have decided to post about the last eatery I visited which I have not yet reviewed on openrice....and will continue from there.


Date of visit: 18th June '10
EXP  @ Festival Walk


I haven't visited EXP since last year... and I noticed some changes on their menu - the pizza selections have definitely changed and prices have increased. I chose the new 'Seafood Pizza' for tonight's dinner and taste-wise, it wasn't bad. The seafood, apart from the fish fillet, was fresh enough and the quantity of cheese good and nicely melted. My complaint however, would be that the seafood or pizza sauce was not quite dry enough, resulting in my pizza being slightly 'wet' - not good! 


This was S's Duck Breast Fried Rice. This item has been on their menu ever since they opened I believe, and was every bit as good as I remember it to be =) on top is the raw garlic mash which S chose to leave out wisely as the raw garlic was way too strong, pungent, and no doubt would leave one with bad breath. The smoked duck breast seemed to be the vacuum-packed variety, which didn't really bother either of us as it was tasty. The fried rice was not oily and very flavourful...

This affordable restaurant is definitely worthy of a visit if you're in Festival Walk. 

Food: ♥♥♥
Service: 
Price: $$

EXP 
Shop 23, UG, Festival Walk, 80 Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon Tong
Tel: +852 
2265 8298


For dessert, we chose the banana pie (should really be called banoffee pie, no?) from Simply Life. I really only have had one other, from 798 Unit Co (TST branch) several months back, and was not impressed. This one here, moderately priced at $35 for a large slice (we took out, so no service charges) was really quite satisfying. We smartly shared it, since it was really filling after having had a full dinner. Before I go on, some pictures for you... 

Our take-out box. 

Our banana pie (I should have removed the protective sheet...oh well!)

A forkful of the pie, showing the five distinct layers - Whipped cream (white), Chocolate-banana mousse (brown), Fresh bananas (yellow), toffee (caramel), digestive cookie base (Mc Vities variety I believe). And if you see the previous pictures, there were yummy chocolate shavings on top of the pie too. 

My verdict? Compared to 798, this one rocked! A friend of mine has suggested Portobello's  (Staunton st.) Banoffee Pie, so I have yet to try that. 

Simply Life had many other cakes which I have yet to try too but will save that for my next visit to Festival Walk or IFC. 

Food: ♥♥♥
Service: 
Price: $

Simplylife Bakery Café
Shop 42, L2, Festival Walk, 80 Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon Tong
Tel: +852 
2265 7418

2 comments:

PeonyL ing Hei Chan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peepee said...

i likeeeee. take me out for dinner soon! xxx