About Me

sharing my thoughts on all things related to food.

Sunday 19 December 2010

Tokoro

Date of visit: 22nd November 2010
Tokoro @ Langham Hotel

For lunch my ma and I went to Tokoro for lunch. I quite like the atmosphere of the left side, with seats by huge windows, and a bar in the middle of the room lined full of different sakes. There was quite a selection of lunch sets on the menu, in addition to their lengthy a la carte items (you can see all this info on their website).

For all lunch sets, a starter of salad and a tiny dish (mushrooms and burdock) was first to arrive. 

"Sashimi rice"
I'm actually struggling to remember what there was. But I remembered the lean tuna, hamachi and sweet shrimp distinctively as they were quite fresh. The ones on the left, which I should have asked about, weren't particularly great. They were a little too rubbery and quite tasteless. 

"pearl rice"
very well cooked, yum!

"miso soup"

"sukiyaki"
sliced beef, poached egg, assorted mushrooms, spinach, konnyaku

the broth was very sweet and salty, very good with the rice, but too strong to drink by itself. the beef was overcooked for me, would have been nice if they had let us cook the beef ourselves, but it was already made when served. the egg was also fully cooked, with the yolk fully set, definitely not what I had hoped, so mum had this one. 

dessert was tiny, we would've rather had a fruit or something. this thumb-sized cake-like dessert was dressed with a little honey, I think it was made of some kind of bean - sort of like the green bean paste (yellow in colour) you get in Chinese glutinous rice dumplings. 

Overall, there was aspects that could've been improved easily. Portions were very generous, and I would've rather seen less fish on sashimi selection, and perhaps some scallops. The beef could've been more tender by cooking it for a lesser amount of time. Nonetheless, fine for a weekday lunch. 

Food:  ♥♥1/2
Service: ♥♥♥
Price: $$$

L3, Langham Place Hotel,
555 Shanghai St,
Mongkok, Kowloon,
Hong Kong

No comments: