About Me

sharing my thoughts on all things related to food.

Saturday 23 July 2011

Cantopop

Cantopop @ L Place

Having heard Cantopop's menu had changed (quite drastically I must say), I was back to try the items that I hadn't yet tried (e.g. the much talked-about Sous-vide char siu rice) and the other newer items. We proceeded to order up a storm... 
Sous vide charsiu and fried egg on rice ($68)

As with most sous-vide proteins, the texture of the pork was unbelievably tender. The Charsiu here is generally quite lean, though lacking in the roasted sweet and salty flavour of good char siu. Whilst it is hard to replicate that flavour by just searing / torching the meat after, I think a sweet-salty sauce could've made up for the light marinade. I must add though, the famous 金華燒臘麵家 around the corner doesn't do much (if any) better.
Beef Brisket Noodles In Soup ($68)
My personal favourite from the items we sampled on this visit. The brisket was tender and beefy. The radishes were soft. The soup very subtle but comforting. The home-made noodles are more like pasta, but I made sure to ask them to cook them less so they retained a bite. 

Pork Chop Cutlet Piggy Bun ($38)
This was everyone else's favourite. The pork cutlet was well fried, and served on the best buttered buns ever. I believe I told a friend I wished everyone served their burgers in these buns! Think the Japanese-like curry sauce and pork cutlet combination would definitely be a winner for me.
Minced Beef and Spa Egg on Rice ($58)
More sauce than meat. Don't think i've seen this version anywhere. There was so little meat all I could taste was the cornstarch-thickened sauce... and the spa egg was slightly overcooked - the yolk was pasty rather than runny, nothing like the one I had in my chicken and spa egg noodle on a previous visit.
Curry Luncheon Meat Bun ($58)
For me, this dish was great - the spicy curry sauce worked well with the soft pork patty, and of course, there's that bun I like so much. I don't like Spam anyway so this much less saltier and processed version of a meat patty suited me. But because they call it homemade luncheon meat my friends undoubtedly made a comparison to Spam... and it was just not the same. 
Yin Yang Cino ($18)
My friend had the milk tea cino (unpictured) which according to her wasn't smooth enough. My yin yang was good enough, we could taste the milk tea and coffee in it and was more enjoyable. 
A few hiccups here and there with food and service but generally good and definitely has potential to be better - food here is probably better for your body than your local cha chaan teng anyway! 

Food: ♥♥ - ♥♥ 
Service: ♥♥
Price: $$
UG/F, L Place, 
139 Queens Road Central, 
Hong Kong
Tel: +852 2857 2608

No comments: