About Me

sharing my thoughts on all things related to food.

Sunday 9 January 2011

Greetings 2011, and Le Salon de Thé de Robuchon

I’d like to start off my first post of 2011 by greeting everyone a happy (albeit late) new year!! May all of your resolutions come true !! =) As I will soon be very busy again, I’d like to write and post about the places I’ve been to during the winter holidays asap, so bare with the shorter individual posts!

Date of visit: 11th December 2010
Salon de thé de Robuchon @ Landmark


For a day after my favourite activity (shopping), mum and I had dinner at Robuchon. We chose the salon de thé for a lighter meal rather than the fourth floor restaurant. We placed our orders at the café counter and took our seats overlooking the atrium of the Landmark. 

To begin with, we were given two baby brioches and a herb parmesan cheese roll. 

"Le cheese burger de Kagoshima, pommes frites" ($160)
The baby burger with the small cup of fries was certainly cute. The bun was a sesame seed brioche, and we ordered the burger to be medium-well but the beef was well overcooked and dried out....nothing like the fatty and juicy Kagoshima (Wagyu) we expected and the menu claimed to be...for all we know it could've been anything! The saving grace of the dish was the fries - they were fresh, skinny and crisp as they should be. 

"Le black cod mariné au saké et mirin, sauce au miso" ($190) 
The piece of black cod was very well glazed with the miso marinade and perfectly cooked. I prefer black cod to cod because the flesh is teeny tiny bit firmer and lingers on your tongue longer than the cod fillet which basically melts straight away. 
On the side was a tiny eggplant roll with bonito shavings on top, and a bit of sauce on the side for the fish, which was necessary because the fish itself even though coated in the brown sauce it wasn't salty enough for the insides. 


"mashed potatoes" 
The cod also came with a mini cup of mashed potatoes. This was same as the one we had upstairs, very silky smooth and rich, definitely for potato-lovers. 

Apart from the overcooked beef patties the meal was quite enjoyable, though I think I better stick to le salon for tea, pastries and sandwiches in the future.... 

Food: ♥♥♥
Service: ♥♥
Price:$$$

Shop 315, The Landmark
Central, Hong Kong
Tel: +852 2166 9088

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had that burger as well and thought wow that's like a slider burger but served only as one?!

Then had the same experience biting into the patty - which had only a mild but nowhere near enough wagyu beef flavour, and was over-cooked (probably because its too thin and stingy haha!).

Pricey too! Interesting they have that Cod fish dish :) I hope to revisit Robuchon L'Atelier soon for dinner, I just hope it is better this time than last time! Fingers crossed. :p

g. said...

Yes, don't think I will be back for the burger too soon! and hope your next trip there will be a good one =)