About Me

sharing my thoughts on all things related to food.

Tuesday 11 January 2011

Pizza Express

Date of visit: 14th December 2010
Pizza Express @ Star St
As a last minute dinner arrangement I suggested Pizza Express at Star St which I was impressed by during the summer. It was very cool this night and we stuck to hearty food.

M, B and I shared a starter, pizza and pasta: 
"Crema di Funghi" ($54)
Creamy wild mushrooms, onion, garlic, grana padano cheese and balsamic glaze served with fresh baked bread
This thick creamy dip was very aromatic and delicious and the assorted mushroom pieces were very enjoyable, even though slightly too salty. The bread got slightly hard after it cooled down in the cold weather but that was okay. My mushroom-loving friend M mopped up this dish! 

"Parma" ($133) 
Prosciutto ham, ricotta, parmesan on a parmesan, rosemary and polenta base
I asked for the thin and crispy Roman base instead of the Neapolitan. I loved the chunks of ricotta with the salty prosciutto and was a very enjoyable pizza just as I remembered from summer. M and B also liked the pizza. 

"Pollo al Marsala" ($99) 
Penne with chicken, portabella mushrooms in a creamy marsala wine and thyme sauce,, finished with flakes of grana padano cheese
Originally we were going to order the Fusilli in mushroom sauce, but thought it was too similar to the appetizer so we opted for this new option with some protein in it. The penne was cooked perfectly al dente, and the sauce was very tasty, though I thought it could've been slightly less thick. The chicken was not the Italian marsala chicken dish, but simply breast pieces chopped up and mixed into the sauce. Not sophisticated, but sometimes simple is good!

For a no-frills pizza/pasta place, Pizza Express on Star St really delivers (I have issues with the TST and Soho branches so I can't vouch for those), and is comfort food at a high level. 

Food: ♥♥♥ 1/2 
Service: ♥♥
Price:$$$ ($115 pp) 

Star Street Precinct, 10 Wing Fung St, 
Wanchai, Hong Kong
Tel: +852 3528 0541

No comments: