About Me

sharing my thoughts on all things related to food.

Wednesday 25 September 2013

Fancy Thai - Mango Tree

When a Hong Kong person thinks of Thai food, Kowloon City aka "Thai town" of Hong Kong often springs to mind. No doubt, there is an abundance of cheap and cheerful Thai eateries there although standards have dropped since I was young - my school was nearby and visits to the Thai restaurants in the 'hood as well as Kung Wo Soybean Factory was a must-do every week... Now that I am based on Hong Kong island, trips to Kowloon City is rare and when I do go it's often for the veal goulash cakes, or "牛肉餅" in Muslim Food followed by a bowl of smooth tofu fa at Kung Wo. (If you haven't been already, what are you waiting for?!!)

Anyhow, I do often make trips to Elements - it being easily accessible and all; and one of my favourite restaurants there is Mango Tree. It's first branch in Hong Kong is in the Cubus building in Causeway Bay, but this place has a slightly longer menu and a floor to ceiling windows giving you a wonderful view of Hong Kong.... This place is definitely pricier than the many Thai restaurants around Wanchai, Causeway Bay and Kowloon City but on my couple of visits here the dishes were executed well and tasty. 
chicken and beef satays with peanut sauce and pickles (($98 ea)
I don't often order satays because they are easily overdone and the meat dry but my dad wanted these and they were a good choice indeed. The chicken were a little more moist on this occasion but both were enjoyable nonetheless.
Phad Thai ($120) with prawns, peanuts, tofu, chives, bean sprouts
I'm not usually a fan of phad Thai but I did try this dish and thought the flavours were quite balanced. I wish there was more prawns though. 

Sea bass steamed with chili lime broth ($228)
Perfectly seasoned and cooked fish. 

Southern Pineapple Fried Rice ($128)
If you're like me and you like sweet and salty dishes, I would recommend this. The sweet and fresh pineapple pieces together with the savory fried rice, crunchy cashews and pork floss  - ahhh so simple but so good. 

Stir fried rice noodles with chicken ($108)
Seasoned with soy sauce and fried with plenty of fresh vegetables and egg, this is my brother's favourite dish. 

Char-grilled free range chicken ($288/whole)
Just one word - TASTY. And a whole lot better than a few places in Wanchai serving the same dish. Perhaps it's the use of the free range chicken? Or that salty spicy and sour sauce that accompanies it? Anyway, do try this if you visit ;) 

Although not pictured, their curry crab also deserves a mention as it's very good... Needless to say, I'm going to be back. 

Food: ♥♥
Service: ♥♥1/2
Price: About HK$300 pp before drinks
Shop 2032, Elements
1 Austin Road West, Tsim Sha Tsui
Hong Kong
T: +8522668 4994

No comments: