About Me

sharing my thoughts on all things related to food.

Sunday 22 September 2013

Zanzo - izakaya with vegetarian friendly eats!

Visiting Rakuen recently reminded me of another Japanese drinking/eating establishment I enjoy taking friends - Zanzo in hipster area Tai Hang. They have a lovely bar area and small tables surrounding the bar - whilst I wouldn't recommend this for big groups it's definitely somewhere to check out with a partner or a couple others. Part of the Miramar Group, this Japanese 'contemporary bar' has a short but well-executed menu and several daily specials each night; and although one doesn't often think of Japanese places as vegetarian friendly, this place does have a small but good selection that will make any vegetarians happy. Moreover, the prices are ridiculously reasonable.... probably because of its neighbourhood being not as easily accessible (okay it was a good ten minute walk from the MTR, which, is not bad at all!)


guess what's this black and multi-colored dish?!


Menu - remember to ask what's on special!
Aji Tataki ($70)
With ginger, spring onion and sea grapes on shiso leaf and a wedge of lime. Simple-delicious. 

Char-grilled Miso Tofu Skewer ($25/2 skewers)
 They skewer firm tofu and grill it slowly to achieve a thin crust and finish it with white and red miso. Both types of miso works well but I personally prefer the red with the grilled tofu.

Grilled Eggplant with Bonito Flakes ($30)
This yaki-nasu was very well done - the eggplant had been pre-broiled to achieve some smokiness and chilled. Topped with dancing bonito flakes on a pool of ponzu-soy dressing and grated ginger on the side. 

Grilled miniature sweet potatoes ($40/2 skewers)
 I love these miniature sweet potatoes - they are always sweeter and have a very smooth creamy center compared to the larger sweet potatoes.... pricey yes but darn good...

Char-grilled Yellowtail Collar
  Our waitress recommended us to try the yellowtail collar (one of the specials that night) which was done very well and served with a daikon-soy dipping sauce.

Snapper Sashimi ($75)
 Fresh and light seasoned with spiced radish and ponzu vinaigrette; no complaints!
Japanese Cheese Croquettes with Wasabi Mayo ($50)
 Fried.processed.cheese. Who am I to say no? I would've liked the mayo to have a little more wasabi kick to it but hey, I'm not complaining. Although with my new and very annoying allergy I won't be able to order this again any time soon.

Australian Lamb Cutlet with garlic mayo ($65)
 If I remember correctly this took quite a little time! But when it came I was very pleased to find it nicely grilled with a pink center and delicious on its own with the lemon or garlic mayo or both!

Charcoal Vegetables ($45)
They use a Japanese bamboo charcoal flour batter to make this vegetable tempura dish. I liked that the batter was thin and crunchy. However I found the pumpkin ones to be slightly undercooked both times I visited; although the sweet potatoes which normally take longer to cook was soft and starchy in the middle.

I also spied a grilled Wagyu beef with hot spring egg on nishiki rice on the menu which I am very keen to try.... now I just need a couple of non pescetarian/vegetarian friends ;)


Food: ♥♥1/2
Service: ♥♥
Price: About HK$200 pp before drinks
15-16 School Street, Tai Hang
Hong Kong
T: +852 2750 6490 (open for dinner only)

No comments: