About Me

sharing my thoughts on all things related to food.

Sunday 6 October 2013

Kishoku

I think I just might have found my new favorite sushi heaven. I won't waste your time by giving you a full-on intro on Kishoku, but if you are interested in a little background information, just read this article. We came just before last order and sat at the sushi counter. Our sushi chef came and introduced the menu and recommended we try the deluxe sushi platter... This was what we had come for and so we happily went along.

lunch menuShortly after we ordered, we began our meal with a small light salad.
Cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, radish, mixed leaves in soy vinaigrette
Herring fish, fish liver, cucumber, sesame dressing
 Wasn't really a fan of this appetizer. The fish liver did not match the sesame dressing for me.

Alfonsino
Brush of soy - very clean and sweet fish. 

Ark shell (akagai)
 Brushed with yuzu and soy. Lovely with a good crunch a subtle sweet taste. 

Cockle
 Brushed with soy and a sprinkle of yuzu peel. I can't decide if I like this more or the ark shell more...

Pacific saury
 Normally I don't go for oily fish like mackerel, pike or saury but this was really good as it was oily but not too fishy. The bit of ginger and negi on top was a nice touch.

Black cod - torched
 Great taste of sweet, buttery cod and soy glaze, but we couldn't really get past the after-taste of gasoline from the torch...

Chutoro
Fatty but the taste of the tuna is still very present. Slightly too heavy on the wasabi though - I was knocked out by the feeling of too much wasabi at the end.
 
Otoro
 Gloriously fatty, completely melts in your mouth with the rice.

Escolar (belly part) - torched
Buttery and very rich. Given the black cod had that gasoline taste I was worried this one would too, but surprisingly it didn't and was so good. Tastes like black cod, just fattier and completely dissolves in your mouth.
 
Hokkaido sea urchin
Look at the layering of the sea urchin! I almost dropped it as I was putting the sushi in my mouth.... Thank god I didn't as this gunkan sushi was heavenly.

Egg
 Save for the blue-ish hue from the egg (not being stored properly) it was a very good palate cleanser, not too sweet and eggy enough, no (scary) yellow tinge here.

Minced toro hand roll
Best three bites of my meal. I thanked the chef for this as it was truly lovely to eat. The yellow bell pepper shreds gave it some textural contrast and the tuna was very good quality (yet again), finished with quality crisp seaweed.
 
With shredded bell peppers and spring onion and sesame seed
Just look at the ratio of tuna to rice! I believe there was more tuna than rice... 

Steamed egg - shrimp, fish, ginko nut
 This chawanmushi was topped with a dashi glaze, very smooth.  This was served as our last savoury course together with the miso soup with clams and shimeiji mushrooms.

Pumpkin Ice cream
For some reason this tasted slightly coconut-ty, but it was pumpkin ice cream imported from Japan. Enjoyable anyway!

A couple of misses here and there (found hair in one of my sushi which I returned and our sushi chef kindly made another; too much wasabi in a couple sushis), but overall incredible quality and at a very reasonable price... I have already scheduled my next visit!

Food: ♥♥♥♥
Service: ♥♥♥1/2
Price: $338 + 10% for deluxe sushi platter

5/F Bigfoot Centre, 
38 Yiu Wa Street,
Causeway Bay
Hong Kong 
T: +852 2893 0333

No comments: