About Me

sharing my thoughts on all things related to food.

Thursday 4 June 2015

Daisan Harumi, Tokyo Japan - omakase sushi lunch 



Having done a bit of research I found out about this place and wanted to go during one of our days. We were lucky to be able to plan 2 months ahead and made reservations the month before the date we wanted to go. 
Menu during lunch

Upon seating we were presented with this menu - there are basically 3 options - 7, 10 or 14 pcs and we went with the 10pcs given we had the unidon a couple hours ago at the Tsukiji market. After ordering our matcha tea to go with lunch, lunch swiftly began. 

Makogarei (marbled sole) 
First up - a seasonal fish available at the early start of summer, very close to hirame (flounder) but has a bit more of a sweet flavour. Very tender, and a great way to start of the omakase. 

Aori-ika (big fin reef squid)
I normally shy away from squid and octopus whether it may be raw or cooked. But this bad boy was delicious! I don't think I've had raw squid so good - tender, sweet and with the slightest chew for texture to remind you it's a squid you're having. My mind is changed.  

Akami (lean tuna) 
A predictable but delicious piece of akami - brushed with a little soy, it's super fresh and tasty. 

chutoro (medium fatty tuna) 
Chutoro was served right after the lean tuna, and this was still a bit leaner than what I am used to but it was much more flavourful,  and definitely melts in your mouth. 

Lightly poached kuruma ebi (tiger prawn) 
This is probably the first time I've had Japanese tiger prawn, and it is huge! Meaty and juicy comes to mind but definitely could've improved with a touch of sea salt sprinkled on top to enhance its flavours. 

Kohada (gizzard shard)
I happen to dislike kohada - its always vinegary and salty and doesn't look appetizing to me - after tasting my opinion remains the same, I need to remember to tell chefs!

Grilled tairagai (pen shell)
My first time having tairagai - this version had a touch of smokiness since it was grilled, and my initial thoughts is that it tastes a lot like scallop, but the meat is firmer, more chewy when cooked this way. It is more flavourful, and again, very fresh here. 

Ikura (salmon roe) gunkan 
Very standard, briny salmon roe. 

Simmered anago (conger eel) brushed with sweet soy sauce
Then came one of my favourites - simmered anago with a sweet glaze - very tender, and again melts in your mouth without much chewing needed. So delicious! 

grilled head of tiger prawn with rock salt
The head of our tiger prawns (above) weren't wasted - they are grilled and served with some salt and lemon. 

kanpyo (marinated gourd) hand roll
Kanpyo - I've seen but never got around to trying. This was absolutely delicious, sweet and salty filling with a crunchy seaweed roll handed to us by Nagayama-san, to be consumed right away. Perfect end to our sushi courses. 

miso soup with raw negi
And to end our meal, a mild bowl of miso with pungent raw scallions. Not for everyone, but I enjoyed it.

Just a mental note I made during our sushi courses, was that the sumeshi (seasoned rice) here is great and very very lightly seasoned. I could barely taste any vinegar, and it could perhaps be because Nagayama-san wanted us to focus on the seafood? 


Food: ♥♥ 
Service: ♥♥
Price: ~¥7,210 for 10pcs lunch omakase (May 2015) 
Daisan Harumi 
1-17-7 Shinbashi, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-0004

No comments: