About Me

sharing my thoughts on all things related to food.

Monday 9 August 2010

Some TST eats...

Date of visit: 3rd August 2010


Spice Restaurant @ Knutsford Terrace
I picked Spice as this night's dinner spot since it had a good location, and my aunt wanted some South-east Asian goods.

On a Tuesday night the restaurant was only half-full, and we were seated at a table with sofas and a curtain. It was very dark so but I managed to read the menu with the (pathetic) candle in the middle.

We decided to skip appetizers and go straight to the mains, shared, Asian style. One Chicken Tikka Masala ($88), one Tandoor Fish Tikka ($132), one naan ($24) and a Pad Thai ($90) all came together soon enough after our drinks.

The chicken tikka masala was the waitress’ recommendation. It was slightly spicy, spicier than the chicken makhani (butter chicken) I was going to order. The masala curry turned out very flavourful with a hint of chilli to flavour things up. The chicken was very tender – all meat, no bones or skin. 7.5/10

We ordered the naan to mop of the curry. Good, but nothing to write home about. 7/10

The fish tikka was, I think, mackerel (should’ve asked to make sure =P). It was actually quite spicy despite it being a dry tandoor-grilled dish – I guess the fish was marinated in some strong chilli powder / spicy marinade first. Mackerel flesh when cooked resembles tuna a lot, and if over-cooked it is tough and not pleasant to eat at all. I asked for them not to overcook the fish before-hand, and they really didn’t! Great job, but it’s still a long way behind their signature black cod tikka, which I had on a previous visit. 7/10

The pad thai was pretty good as well. I've tried pad thai here before, and loved it so I ordered it again this time. What was disappointing was that it only had a couple pieces of shrimp and dried hard tofu. There were some condiments such as ground peanut, chilli and sugar on the side for you, but these were really not needed since the noodles are well-seasoned. However, the egg net on the outside was more for show rather than to be eaten…7/10

All in all this restaurant churns out pretty good Indian and Thai food. The portions could easily have been more generous for the prices they charge, but then again, this is Knutsford Terrace (the “soho” part of TST)! Our bill came to  $483 for three drinks, the food above, and service charge.
Food:  ♥♥♥♥
Service:  ♥♥♥
Price: $$$

2/F, No.1 Knutsford Terrace,
TST, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Tel: +852 2191 9880
next stop...


Roll @ Granville Road, TST

After dinner we went to Roll for something sweet. A lot of their swiss roll cakes had run out, so we turned to frozen yogurt. Between us three we had a large ($32) and a regular ($26), plus an earl grey tea flavoured macaroon for me!

For the large, I asked for strawberries + green tea mochi, and for the regular, my aunt asked for mangoes. The girl mixed up our orders and put the mangoes on the large and the strawberries on the regular. Also as they had ran out of diced mangoes, she wasn’t able to rectify her mistake and was very apologetic so we told her to forget it. Roll’s frozen yogurt base was really disappointing. It was extremely light, melted really quickly and I felt a bit like I was eating air. The base could’ve been tarter and sweeter in my opinion as well – it was just plain milky…. The toppings didn’t fare much better. Whilst the fruits were fresh, she could’ve been more generous. The green tea mochi didn’t taste like green tea at all, just your standard plain mochi – not that it was bad, but why not just label it green mochi? [p.s. my brother observed quickly after she handed us our yogurts that the serving size of the yogurt in the large and regular was really similar - I looked and noticed the same!] 3/10

Macaroons are truly for people with a sweet tooth. Whilst macaroons are meant to be sweet (I’ve never heard of such thing as a low-sugar meringue), they shouldn’t be sickly sweet (as a whole) either. My earl grey macaroon was quite nice. Better than LGB’s sickly sweet version, as the dark chocolate ganache centre was bitter-sweet enough to counter the sweet and crispy macaroon shell. It also had a strong aroma of earl grey… yumm =). 7/10
Whilst I won’t be back for frozen yogurt, I may well give their ever-popular swiss rolls and other macaroons a try.
Food:  ♥♥
Service:  ♥♥♥
Price: $

Roll
G/F, Granville Mansion, 41C-D Granville Road, 
Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Tel: +852 
2191 9212

No comments: