About Me

sharing my thoughts on all things related to food.

Monday 12 July 2010

Finally, a trip to Luk Yu Tea House


Date of visit: 5th July 2010
Luk Yu Tea House @ Stanley Street
 On a Monday night my ma was in the Central area and so we met up for a quick and simple Chinese dinner. 


our cute table which I loved. Like a little private booth! 


We sat down and immediately I asked for a tureen (2-4 pax) of their Pigs lung soup with almond before reading the menu =) My ma had tried this before and loves it so I had to too, right? 

We each had at least 2.5 bowls of this lovely milky white soup. It reminded me a lot of the dessert 'almond tea' as there was plenty of almond in this soup. It was also very savoury and slightly salty. The pigs lungs, my mother said, was cleaned very well here and it takes skill to do it - not easy to do this at one's home!

A page from the menu... I think this was the chicken page. 

Spinach with century and salted egg was next to arrive. The superior broth was really good and not salty at all. It didn't have the bitter after-taste of the iron in spinach when cooked either. It was tender and the eggs added some texture and taste to the dish, yummy! (p.s. the broth is really good with rice!)



So after being told that the 'pot' items e.g. beef on rice in claypot was only available during the winter season, my ma suggested za zi gai (i.e. deep fried crispy whole chicken). The few tables around us we noticed, also had this dish present, so it must be one of their more popular dishes we thought. When it arrived, it was a nice golden brown colour. My ma picked up a prawn cracker and started munching away loudly - must be the crispiness of it I thought, so I did the same! I know I know, it sounds rude of us but we had our 'private booth' remember? So no one heard us....

Soup, chicken, a bowl of rice and the spinach was very satisfying for the two of us. Our bill came to $580 for these few dishes which I thought was quite pricey... But in all fairness each dish was executed very well =)

Their restaurant card with separate numbers for each floor.
Food: ♥♥♥♥
Service: ♥♥
Price: $$$$

Luk Yu Tea House
G/F, 24 Stanley Street,
Central, Hong Kong
Tel: +852 2523 5464

No comments: