About Me

sharing my thoughts on all things related to food.

Saturday 17 July 2010

Waffles, please!



Date of visit: 15th July 2010
Green Waffle Diner @ Graham St., Soho
I hadn't seen E in a while and it was time to catch up over good food. Now E loves breakfast foods so when I suggested Green Waffle and its concept, she was damn excited. Reservations were never needed for my previous visits here during dinner, but I made reservations in case. When I arrived the small-ish diner was three-quarters full on a Thursday lunch... a good sign? 

Here they have a very reasonably-priced lunch set menu which includes a main and a dessert (half a waffle with a scoop of ice cream). But since nothing on the set lunch menu enticed us (green apple compote with waffle and sausage?!) we opted for their simpler items on the menu. We decided on a breakfast of seared vine tomatoes with scrambled eggs and a whole-wheat waffle (instead of the normal toast) ($44 + 9 for the upgrade), and a buckwheat waffle with blueberries and cinnamon sugar.

The scrambled eggs here were quite good - creamy and slightly runny… lovely! The seared vine tomatoes (my favourite kind) were really sweet and juicy albeit slightly undercooked for my liking. A little more time on the grill or pan would have made it better and less hard in texture. The whole wheat waffle upgrade was E’s idea. Not a bad one either. There was a strong presence of that wheat taste, similar to 100% whole wheat bread, but the texture was maintained at a light and airy form – delicious with a little maple syrup complimentary from Green Waffle.

The next plate of buckwheat waffles with blueberries was sprinkled with the right amount of cinnamon sugar to give it the divine aroma that the cinnamon-addict in me lusts after. In hindsight I probably should have ordered something that was pre-set rather than ‘create-your-own’ since this relatively simple and small plate ended up costing $51 (not that it is expensive for Soho, but compared to the previous huge plate of food!). Anyway, the buckwheat waffle itself, I would think, is closer in taste to the original plain ones, but didn’t have that airy texture here =((. Blueberries were fresh but more could’ve been provided as it looked quite dull on the plate…

A good lunch anyhow, and will definitely return for more breakfast items or whenever a waffle craving kicks in!
Food: ♥♥♥
Service: ♥♥
Price: $$

Green Waffle Diner
G/F, Kar Ho Building, 35-39 Graham St, Soho 
Central, Hong Kong 
Tel: +852 2887 9991

2 comments:

Jason said...

Makes me want to return for some yummy waffles now! ... yeah! I think some varied waffles can be more airy in texture as well. I think they are trying to improve on an ongoing basis such as placing the moist items on the side instead of on top of the waffles to prevent immediate "soggy-ness." I really want to give their pandan green waffles a try later :)

g. said...

ahhh didn't realise you posted...doesn't alert me via email! Yes I want to return soon too looking at my own post and new posts on OR! Do tell when you try their pandan ones!