About Me

sharing my thoughts on all things related to food.

Friday 23 July 2010

Luk Yu Tea House, Revisited


Friday 16th July 2010
Luk Yu  @ Stanley Street

On a rainy Friday night I was invited to a dinner at Luk Yu with my mum by my aunt, having just been here a little over a week ago. We were seated in their cute booths once again and my aunt ordered their pigs lung and almond soup before we studied their menu. The soup was just as creamy white in colour as the last time, but slightly less thick or chunky from ground almonds and less salty, which I thought was better.
pigs lung soup!

Auntie ordered the sweet and sour pork with young ginger, and on the recommendation of one of the waiters, a stir-fried sliced pigeon with ham dish. The sweet and sour pork was one of their signatures, and although ginger is not for everyone I loved the use of the young ginger. It had no roots and I loved the spicy crunch in my mouth. The pork was soft and not chewy or tough at all too. Sauce was well-balanced, without overdosing on the sugar or vinegar…yumm.

sweet and sour pork with young ginger


The fresh sliced pigeon with ham was stir-fried with button mushrooms and ginger pieces. The 'ham' was nothing other than deep-fried Yunnan ham and was laid out by the chef in the shape of the bird (see photo!) – creative, no? It was very easy to eat as it was all meat (no skin or bones), and had been very well seasoned – perfect with rice. The dish was overall very delicious and I couldn’t stop raving over it at the table.

Sliced pigeon with ham 
 no dinner is complete without some veggies

My experience here was better than the last, because of the soup as well as the dishes were relatively new for me. I would strongly recommend diners try the pigeon dish, and can’t wait till my next visit!


Food: ♥♥♥♥
Service: ♥♥♥
Price: $$$$



Luk Yu Tea House
24 Stanley Street, Lan Kwai Fong
Central, Hong Kong
Tel: +852 2523 5464

No comments: