About Me

sharing my thoughts on all things related to food.

Saturday 24 August 2013

August Restaurant Week HK - La Parole

Taking a break from playing catch-up on writing about my foodventures in the past year... I just wanted to write about a few recent places I visited during Restaurant Week this month. 
First up - a dinner at La Parole 
Menu
For those who aren't familiar, a select few restaurants in Hong Kong participated in Restaurant Week whereby they design a menu for a given price/category; and customers book in advance (through diningcity) to try out the specially designed menu.... La Parole was one such restaurant; and dinner was priced at $428 for four courses.


Amuse Bouche
this was a very odd one. not sure any of us enjoyed it... but it wasn't part of the menu so...



Lobster & peach salad
This was the only dish I was disappointed with. The shell had no meat when you reversed it; it was simply plated for decoration. I have a pet peeve for inedible garnishes.... and something so clearly inedible should not be on the plate! I wish they were more generous with the lobster too - I could only taste the peaches and there was no dressing / particular juiciness to the peaces, and I could see/taste at most 2-3 small dices of lobster.

Seared foie gras with foie gras pate in between cherry
Foie gras fared a lot better but the portion was measly... The dice-sized pate between the cherry rolled in sesame seeds was very enjoyable too.

Truffle and mushroom..
with consomme!
Amazing aroma and lovely truffle/earthy taste... 

seafood, foam...


with consomme!


This seafood version had some scallops and shrimp... light and lovely. 

Lamb cutlets with saffron sauce and crushed potatoes
For my main I opted for the lamb. Cooked perfectly medium it was a decent piece of meat. The potatoes were actually mash so I just queried the description "crushed" on the menu...

Grilled truffle beef with tomato
This was P's chosen main. When it arrived we both thought "tacky" - plating wise it sure was. We're in 2013!!! But otherwise, delicious piece of medium rare beef fillet though we couldn't taste any truffle... 

Sabayon with raspberries and cookie
My dessert was this custard with a small floating island meringue. Raspberries very fresh and cookie was delicious according to my foodie friends who so kindly ate mine for me ;) 

 Encased in this "chocolate surprise" was some blueberry compote and bit of pastry... a sweet and short ending to a four course meal.

Although our four courses had come to an end, we were generously given these macs to taste - apparently they were a new product; but I am keen to see a lot of improvement before they start selling them! These had a nice chew but flavours weren't distinguishable enough and were missing the delicate crisp shell good macs should have...
 
Food: ♥♥
Service: ♥♥
Price: HK$428 pp for the Restaurant Week menu which I understand is not too dissimilar from their regular dinner set menus.
Address: 3/F, The Pemberton, 
22-26 Bonham Strand, Sheung Wan
T: +852 2436 4099

No comments: