About Me

sharing my thoughts on all things related to food.

Thursday 15 August 2013

Southern Food - Red Rooster NYC

My first meal off the plane was at Red Rooster Harlem, opened by celebrity chef Marcus Samuelsson, the Ethiopian-born Swedish chef that was crowned Top Chef Master in Season 2 (2010). For those who don't know me, I am (openly) obsessed with anything Top Chef and Iron Chef (only the US series please!) :)

Naturally, I had high hopes....and this was my first time trying Southern food. We were led downstairs upon arrival (make reservations weeks in advance if you want to go on a weekend!), and their decor reminds one of a speakeasy. With their red leather sofas and all. 

"Cornbread" with tomato jam and honey butter
First up we ordered some cornbread to share. Whilst I was mildly disappointed with the corn bread (I prefer a higher ratio of cornmeal to flour if you're going to call it corn bread) I loved the honey butter and tomato jam!

"Fried Yard Bird"
My pick - this fried chicken was not as good as I hoped - it came dressed so that means the sauce had softened the coating when we dug in. Taste wise it was alright.

"uptown steak frites" NY Strip, large steak fries, cornmeal crusted green tomatoes
J my cousin picked our next dish - perfectly cooked piece of NY strip and I loved the cornmeal crusted green tomatoes. You don't find this stuff in HK!

"Helga's meatballs" with lingonberries, braised cabbage, bread and butter pickles, dill stewed potatoes
These meatballs were a hit on our table tonight.

"5 spice duck salad" with liver mousse, almonds and cherry vinaigrette
Last savory dish was a duck salad - sadly uninspired was the word that came to mind.


And finally it was dessert time! The four of us went with two - first was the below fudge cake which tasted as good as it sounded. Fudgy. Dark. Chocolatey. Rich. Cool and Creamy. Nothing less, nothing more.
"baked fudge chocolate cake" with red velvet ice cream, almond brittle and sorrel reduction

"sweet potato doughnuts" with cinnamon sugar
I fell in love with doughnuts since Boston (thin lavender creme-filled doughnuts, made fresh to order!). I naturally couldn't pass on an order of their sweet potato doughnuts and crossed my fingers hoping they'd be good. And delightful they were! Doughnuts + sweet creamy fillings are totally my thing ;)
Perhaps I had too high expectations (huge Top Chef fan right here!); I just wished I enjoyed the mains a little more - if you're holding yourself out to be a Southern restaurant at least have awesome fried chicken?!?! Desserts were incredibly enjoyable though, and not to forget the VERY cool interiors.

Food: ♥♥ for savouries  ♥♥♥ for desserts
Service: ♥♥
Price: Around US$35-40 per person not including drinks

Red Rooster Harlem 
310 Lenox Avenue, New York 
(Between 125th and 126th)
NY 10027
T: 212 792-9001

No comments: