About Me

sharing my thoughts on all things related to food.

Monday 26 August 2013

August Restaurant Week HK - Socialito

I've always associated Socialito to being more of a drinking spot as opposed to a foodie venue, probably because I've heard too many friends tell me its "mehhh". And knowing the States sell tacos on average US$1-3 per taco ($1 being average); HK$60-85 for two before servicehere seemed a little on the steep end.
Tacos aside, Socialito serves up some Mexican eats in their main dining area. A couple weeks before Restaurant Week I'd heard they'd done some revamping - new menus and all and I thought this would be the perfect occasion to try out their (new) food.

regular lunch menu
Red Snapper Ceviche
 with pickled chili, jicama, mango, green olives, onion, cilantro and home-made corn chips. Greasy chips but yum nonetheless. I only wish there was more fish.



Creamy Avocado Salad

My veggie friend K loves all things green... And this avocado salad did not disappoint. Portion was on the small end though.

Roasted monkfish

Served with Caribbean coconut sauce, corn chip, plantains (hidden underneath the corn chip). 
The monkfish was unfortunately quite overdone but those fried thumb-sized polenta cubes were so good they might have just  saved this dish. It went quite well with the sauce, which actually tasted more peanutty than coconut... Those polenta cubes should really be a side dish here, and put more than two cubes on a plate please!

Mushroom Quesadilla Platter
With peppers, onions, jack cheese, guacamole, sour cream and black beans. 
I had a bit of the black beans and loved it. My veggie-loving friend K was very happy with this dish but again found the portion a little on the small end for a lunch main.
Bravas Potatoes
Tomato and paprika coated crispy potatoes served up in a cute little earthenware pot came with each lunch set - if you weren't full from the mains these will certainly help get you there. Although I don't generally eat/enjoy potatoes, I found these quite delicious, especially texture and spice wise. I would think these are more Spanish than Mexican though...

King Banana



This dessert was a borderline savoury dish with those fried starchy plantains and lightly sweetened sour cream ice cream but I assure you it was DELICIOUS. K opted for the chili chocolate cake (below) but loved mine all the same. If you like the taste of bananas, then definitely order this!

Chili Molten Chocolate Cake
Dark and rich spicy chocolate cake with mango ice cream and diced fresh mango and coconut. Another winner but just outshone a teeny bit by the plantain dessert above...!

Overall I was impressed by the food and hospitality of the staff. Whilst I won't be returning soon for a weekday lunch (the food took way too long to arrive - a good 5-10 minutes between K and my main course and another 15 minute wait for dessert isn't alright for someone who needs to get back to the office unfortunately!), I am keen to try their other food either on a weeknight or weekend.

Food: ♥♥
Service: ♥♥
Price: HK$158+10% pp for the Restaurant Week lunch menu
Socialito
G/F, The Centrium, 
60 Wyndham Street, Lan Kwai Fong Central
T: +852 3167 7380

No comments: