About Me

sharing my thoughts on all things related to food.

Tuesday 27 August 2013

Food for my soul - Southern Style BBQ in NYC

The Cardinal is a place for soul food. If you don't know what soul food is, I strongly recommend a quick browse through this list. I was introduced to the Cardinal as my cousin's fave spot for Southern food and given that she had also accompanied me to the Red Rooster it seemed fit she brought me somewhere with real good fried chicken. 
source: cardinalnyc.com/
As it was my cousin's turf, it was only right that her and her friends decided on the food. I was keen to try pretty much everything on their menu anyway. When it came to the sides, all mains during dinner come with two sides of choice, and since I've never had Southern collard greens or candied yams I suggested for these and left the rest of the ordering to them. 



Fried oysters ($14) 
 With a good sprinkling of lemon juice these perfectly fried oysters were really delicious, given that oysters aren't my bivalve creatures of choice, raw or cooked. Oh and that tangy tartar-like sauce ain't bad too!
The hush puppies weren't as fluffy as I would like, but a fried piece of cornmeal dough with fresh crab meat - who am I to say no?!
North Carolina blue crab hush puppies ($14)
Fried chicken ($19) three 24-hour brined then fried chicken, collard greens and biscuit, fried green tomatoes
Best. Fried. Chicken. Ever.
Tender chicken, crunchy batter with a delicious aioli for dipping.

BBQ Plate ($24) brisket, collard greens, slaw, biscuit and dinner rolls
Another BBQ Plate ($24) with candied yams,  baked beans and dinner rolls
We had the brisket, ribs and pulled pork (I think you pick two meats from a choice of four including house made hot links per plate). My favourite meat was definitely the pulled pork as it was smokey but man those candied yams were (dare I say) even better! Bruleed marshmallows atop a sweet potato mash - something to simple yet so splendid I was already making mental notes on when I should recreate this dish!

Regrettably we stuffed ourselves silly with the mains and left no room for dessert...at least not right now, though my cousin recommends their banana pud' to anyone visiting!

Food: ♥ for that fried chicken and candied yams.
Service: ♥ 1/2
Price: US$25 pp not including drinks/dessert

The Cardinal 
234 East 4th Street
New York, NY10009
T: 212 995-8600

No comments: